DATE:            Thursday, February 4, 2016


PLACE:          The Brick Academy, Basking Ridge, NJ


PRESENT:      Tom Swift, Cindy Cristello, Matt Fine, Chris Erven, Jeff Erven, Bill Gilbert, Steve Corodemus, Stu French, Dennis Thovson, Marlys Thovson, Sharon Doherty, Drew Karpinski, Scott Lynn, Michele Lynn, Knute Hancock, John Vogt, Tony Cristello, Walter Sliwa, Jeff Cafiero, Murray Kane


ABSENT:        Tom Iervolino, Janice Ernsting, Grant Lenahan, Anthony Wartel, Nelly Wartel, Bob Knapik, Akemi Kane, Craig Mahon, Jose DeLaCruz, Leslie Schrem, James Coleman, Ken Casterline, Ed Pepe, Petra Swift,


CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by Vice President, Tom Swift, at 7:34 pm


APPROVAL of MINUTES: See Motions Passed Prior to Meeting (below).


AGENDA:      [Agenda items in bold; meeting outcome in italics]


  1. Updates to Old Business:
  2. New Business:         
  3. Communications “tickler” calendar:  Matt

Matt described an electronic calendar concept to enable the BOG to see the upcoming events that we tell our members about, and serve as a reminder (‘tickler’) to assist event chairs in meeting deadlines for planning, advertising, and reporting (P4US articles) about events. Comments/feedback/reactions were discussed; some would find this useful, others not as much.

  1. Email communications between BOG members:  Tom

Tom reminded BOG members to consider the impact of using “reply-all” when responding to emails.   

  1. Monthly reports:  updates to submissions.  Submissions (please submit if you haven’t already done so)
  2. 2016 Budget:  Drew

Drew presented the budget compiled by the Planning Committee. Whereas historically some programs (DE) had generated more cashflow than others, the focus is shifting to making each program self-supporting. Chairs are responsible for adhering to their budget, and notifying the BOG of material deviations. The budget will be reviewed throughout the year, and can be adjusted if necessary.

  1. NNJR 60th anniversary:  Tom

As 2017 marks NNJR’s 60th anniversary, we should begin thinking of ideas for special events/celebrations. One idea is to reprise “Old Rascals’ Night”, perhaps in Jan or Feb.

III.  Updates/Supplements/Redirections to written Committee Chair reports: 

[updates appear following each respective report]



  1. Officers’ reports:[as submitted in advance; updates during/after the meeting in italics]
    President: [Tom Iervolino] see Agenda above

Vice President: [Tom Swift]

The track chair job provides an entirely new understanding of the “off season.”

All contracts for 2016 DE events except Palmer (going out this week) and Pocono (not yet received) are signed.

Registration for our first DE, at Lime Rock, opens today.

We held our annual Mid Winter Introduction to High Performance Driving at the Villa on Sunday.  We had about 35 attend.  Enthusiasm was high, and survey results are very good.  Hopefully we’ll see many turn up this year at DE and AutoCross.  Thanks to Bill Gilbert and Les Shrem for speaking, to the chief instructors who attended.

Lastly, thanks to Jeff I am now armed and dangerous with regard to the web site.  I managed to upload the new tech form without bringing the entire site down.

Secretary: [Cindy Cristello]  no report

Treasurer: [Janice Ernsting] no report


  1. Board and committee reports: [as submitted in advance; updates during/after the meeting in italics]


Autocross: [Grant Lenahan]

Autocross Sponsorship Update from Sharon Doherty:

I had a brief meeting with Ed Goddard at Flemington Porsche on Saturday, January 30 and as of this date I have a hard copy of the signed agreement between Flemington Porsche and NNJR-PCA with reference to  their sponsorship of the 2016 autocross events.

Since Ed was between clients and trying to finish up with paper work, I was only able to go over a few of the benefits we hope to offer them. Ed promised to set aside some time where we can discuss things further.

To address the issue of the lack of a decent logo from Flemington, I’ve acquired a contact in their advertising department to obtain a decent logo for printing and for the web site. I have contacted Joe Arbadji and hope to have this file shortly.

I have sent a follow-up letter to Ed Goddard thanking him for giving me the time on Saturday.


Charity: [Anthony and Nelly Wartel]

December date of the 14th, 2016 has been set for NNJR’s Charity Event this year.

Prizes have already started to come in.

Tickets are available now for the 2017 Gold and Silver certificates.


Club Racing: [Craig Mahon]  no report


Communications: [Matt Fine] no report


Concours: [Chris Erven and Jeff Erven]

The 1st Concours event of the season was held at Milan Auto Painters in Clifton, NJ.  Proprietor Pino Angulli hosted an outstanding event, His wife Lisa and Mother Teresa provided outstanding Italian food.  Jerry Manna gave excellent Restoration presentations and the event was attended by 61 Porsche enthusiasts.

The 2nd Workshop will be held on Saturday, February 20, 10AM at Flemington Porsche.  The Host will be Richard Karas and the infamous Dentman Bill Rochford will remove minor dents, Please contact to schedule a repair.  Bill will provide discounts to NNJR members.  A Continental Breakfast will be provided.

The 3rd Seminar will be held on Sunday, March 20 at High Marques in Morristown.  Our Host John Vogt will be providing his world famous breakfast goodies.  The 9AM-11AM portion will cover the 2016 schedule of events.  The 11AM to 1PM portion include a Judges Seminar.

An event planning meeting was attended by Jon Vogt, Akemi & Murray Kane, Sharon & Don Doherty, and Jeff & Chris Erven who discussed the (Welcome to the Club), Concours and Rally event that will be held at a new location, Employment Horizons, Cedar Knolls, NJ on Sunday, June 12.


Dealer Liaison: [Bill Gilbert and Steve Corodemus]


 I met with Paul Gavel this morning to go through sponsorship plans for the season. As expected, Paul Miller Porsche will continue sponsorship of the same events as last year (see below). I also mentioned that 2017 is our 60th Anniversary and that we would be planning some sort of big event to celebrate. Without hesitating, he said that they want to be a part of it. I told him the title sponsor would be big $ and he didn’t blink. He remembers the 55th and what a success it was.

He reinforced what we know: that Trent and the dealership are solidly behind the sponsorship and that now that they are coming back from events with orders, it makes it that much easier.

Specific numbers for planning purposes are being provided to the BOG and Planning committee.


Driver Education: [Tom Swift] see report under Vice President (above)


Historian: [Stu French and Bob Knapik] no report


Mailing and Distribution: [Dennis Thovson]

Mailing data for 2350 copies of the February Porscheforus were sent to our Mailer on February 1. The issue was probably placed in the Postal system on February 3 (won’t know for sure until I get the Mailing Report from the post office).


Membership: [Marlys Thovson]

February Membership Report (January Data)

We ended January with 2211 members (down 23 from December). Ten new members joined in January and five prior members returned. We had 9 late renews and 130 on-time renewals (includes 42 multi-year members). Forty-three member did not renew by January 31, We had 1 transfer-in and 3 members transfer-out.

Early renewals for February 29 were almost nonexistent (two) which left the non-renewal count at 133. This has never happened before.

The numbers are puzzling this month, perhaps due to the weather?


New Member: [Sharon Doherty and Akemi Kane] no report


Planning: [Drew Karpinski]


As discussed, please let us know if anyone should have any questions or comments about the budget.  We will be completing a mid-year review to pick up any changes, such as new sponsorships, or other fluctuations in our cash flow.  We really do appreciate everyone’s passion for running this club, recognizing that this is not anyone’s “day job.”  If anyone should ever encounter an opportunity (or threat) that impacts your budget, please never hesitate to discuss with the Planning Committee.  For example, if program is able to land Jay Leno as a speaker for an additional charge (no pressure Scott), we could adjust the budget for something like that.  At the end of the day, we should always remain driven to providing the very best experience for our membership.

We believe that the changes we are slowly making to the budget mix will get us to a much more stable and sustainable place where the long-term outlook of the club is truly secure.


Thanks, again, for everyone’s attention and cooperation!


Program: [Scott Lynn]

March – Mike Souzza.  Cayman GT4

April, May, June (Cruise Night) are covered and a formal Program report submitted shortly.

If all goes according to plan, April and May are going to be very interesting programs!!  Working on details now.


Publications-Business Mgr: [Knute Hancock] no report


Publications-P4US Editor: [Michele Lynn] no report


Px: [Jose DeLaCruz] no report


Rally/Trek: [John Vogt]

Nothing new to report. The WTTC Committee met over drinks & food at the Black Horse Pub. I think we have all the moving parts in place. We need PERFECT weather because no working rain date fits into the time frame.

Safety: [Leslie Shrem] no report


Social:  [Cindy and Tony Cristello] no report


Technical:  [Ken Casterline and James Coleman]

The NNJR Annual  Shade Tree Garage Swap Meet was held this past Saturday. Attendance was outstanding!  We had 63 members in attendance. I am told that a lot of business was transacted, which includes the $55.00 that I spent.

  1. On February 13this the Paul Miller New Model Tech Part One. In this workshop, we review the classic history of air cooled 911 models  thru the water cooled  997s that lead to the 991s.
  2. On  March 19thwe go to Stable Energies for the New Equipment and Safety Tech.  The new SA2015 helmets are in, as are all manner of other safety, track and enthusiast equipment.

In April we have two workshops.

  1. On April 2nd we go to Flemington Porsche for a Drive-by Tech.  This workshop is directed towards those members who seldom have their cars on a lift and “tech inspected”; who have questions about their cars relative to current problems and potential problems and ongoing trends.
  2. On April 23rd, we return to Paul Miller for Part 2 of the New Model  Tech.  This workshop will feature the 991 Gen.2  and our technical introduction to Porsche’s newest 911 model.


Track Tech: [Walter Sliwa and Ed Pepe]

All Techs are scheduled and confirmed but VIR,

Stickers are ready for printing and will be sent out this week.

2016 Tech sheet is complete thanks to Tom & Petra Swift.

New flash lights are purchased.

We are ready for our Track Tech Workshop on March 12.


Webmaster: [Jeff Cafiero]

The calendar for the year has been loaded and the BOG page updated.  Chairs who have events on the calendar many of those dates don not have details.  As you firm up specifics for those events please forward me the information so I can add the details. Please submit through the Publications email address publications as it will alert Michele that you may need an ad to promote your event in P4US.

If you are using forms for signup please send me a word doc so I can place it on the site.

Board & Chair Page, please look over your contact information. Let me know of any errors or if you want more or less information.


Yearbook: [Petra Swift]

I have mostly finished collecting photos for the 2015 yearbook and have started with the book design.

The first images for 2016 have already come in. Given last year’s experiences I would like to publish occasional calls for photos as our driving events start to capture more “cell phone photo moments”.




MOTIONS PASSED DURING MEETING: Bill Gilbert made a motion to approve the 2016 Budget proposal as presented by Planning Chair Drew Karpinski. Motion was seconded by Knute Hancock and carried by a show of hands.




ANNOUNCEMENTS: Sharon Doherty officially announced that Flemington Porsche will sponsor the 2016 autocross program!


NEXT MEETING:   Thursday, March 3, 2016, 7:00pm (pizza), 7:30pm (meeting) at The Brick Academy
FUTURE MEETINGS:  Thursday March 31, Thursday May 5, Wednesday June 1, Thursday July 7, Thursday August 4, Wednesday August 31, Thursday October 6, Thursday November 3, Sunday December TBD.


ADJOURNMENT: Upon a motion made by Knute Hancock, and seconded by Drew Karpinski, the meeting was adjourned at 9:08pm.


Respectfully Submitted,


Cindy Cristello, Secretary