JULY BOG Minutes


DATE: Thursday, July 9, 2015

PLACE: The Brick Academy, Basking Ridge, NJ

PRESENT: Drew Karpinski, Grant Lenahan, Anthony Wartel, Nelly Wartel, Chris Magdelinskas, Murray Kane, Jeff McFadyen, Tom Iervolino, Stu French, Bob Knapik, Dennis Thovson, Marlys Thovson, Sharon Doherty, Craig Mahon, Knute Hancock, John Vogt, Cindy Cristello, James Coleman, Walter Sliwa, Tom Swift

ABSENT: Chris Magdelinskas, Bill Gilbert, Toby Ippolito, Akemi Kane, Michele Lynn, Scott Lynn, Jose DeLaCruz, Leslie Shrem, Tony Cristello, Ken Casterline, Jeff Cafiero, Petra Swift

CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by President, Drew Karpinski, at 7:32 pm

APPROVAL of MINUTES: See Motions Passed Prior to Meeting (below).

AGENDA: [Agenda items in bold; meeting outcome in italics]

I. Updates to Old Business:

1. Charity Update – Anthony and Nelly
Drew reported for the Charity Committee: They would like to keep the “Tricky Tray” format for the 2015 Charity Auction in December with the proceeds going to Employment Horizon. Charity monies collected at other events during the year (e.g. garage rentals, 50-50, etc.) could go to different organizations where a little money would do some good and be appreciated
Drew said he received a letter from Somerset Hills asking that they be kept in the ring for contributions from the Club. Since the Board’s decision had not yet been announced, Drew said he would respond to Somerset Hills and explain the decision by the Board to designate the 2015 contributions to Employment Horizons.
Drew also said he would write a “Mission Statement” to post on the web re the Charity selection process and the Board’s decision to name Employment Horizons as the 2015 recipient. A brief description of Employment Horizons, how NNJR member’s contributions are to be used and contact information for Employment Horizons to be included
2. Nominating Committee update – Sharon (see written report below)
a. Casting call to all current BOG members, as well as potential new BOG members
b. Comments by Drew : The Nominating Committee appointments did not make into the July issue of Porscheforus. It is to be posted on the website and appear in the August issue of Porscheforus.
Drew encouraged everyone to give thought to members who would be good additions to the BOG.
Dennis said there was no obvious place on the website to post “official” announcements like the Nominating Committee appointments, NNJR Election Meeting notices, etc. Notices to all members should be posted in a manner that makes it easily visible and immediately obvious what is being conveyed.
3. 2015 Off Road Event – a resurrection? November 22nd was set aside as a date for the Pine Barrens Off Road event but no one had volunteered to Chair it. Murray Kane said Peter Schneider has volunteered to chair the event. Paul Miller Porsche is still interested in the event and will donate $1,000. The Board had no objections to the event being put back on the calendar. (It will require insurance and waivers and somebody to manage that part of it.)
II. New Business:
1. 2015 Parade commentary – Murray, Jeff, Bob, Dennis, Marlys – Drew reported on the 2015 Concours held at the Porsche Parade in French Lick, IN. Murray and Akemi Kane won the Preservation Division trophy and Jeff McFadyen won first in class. Bob Knapik also won a trophy in his class. The BOG members that attended Parade (Murray, Jeff, Bob, Dennis, Marlys ) shared their experiences with the group.
2. 2016 Zone 1 appointment news – Drew announced the Murray Kane and Jeff McFadyen have accepted the Zone 1 position of Concours and Rally Chair for 2016
3. Discussion:
Discussion was held on the importance of Chairs submitting articles and ads for P4US on a timely basis. This hampers the effort to lay out the magazine for production, which in turn translates into serious delays in getting the magazine out to the membership. It is distressing to read advertisements for events that have already occurred by the time the magazine is received. We are reminded that the submission deadline is the 24th of the month for second month’s publication. (eg: August 24 for October; September 24 for November, etc.) This provides six weeks’ lead time to assemble, print, and deliver to the membership. The group collectively agreed to be more mindful of the deadlines. We will continue to discuss/review our progress on this at future meetings and if necessary, determine what actions might need to be taken to ensure continued compliance.

III. Updates/Supplements/Redirections to written Committee Chair reports:
[updates appear following each respective report]

I. Officers’ reports:[as submitted in advance; updates during/after the meeting in italics]

President: [Drew Karpinski] see Agenda above

Vice President: [Tom Iervolino]
We are now in the main part of our 2015 DE season and just held our annual Paul Miller Ladies Day and DE weekend. For Ladies Day we had 23 lady participants (versus 24 in 2014) and 87 total participants on Friday (versus 97 in 2014). For the Sat/Sun event we had a total of 135 participants (versus 138 in 2014). The weather was fantastic on Friday but unfortunately we had a ton of rain on Saturday. On Sunday we had some rain and eventually the track did dry out so we combined some groups and extended the driving time per session.
Mosport sign-up is going very well with considerably more NNJR members attending this year versus 2014. In total, there are 170 drivers signed up versus 148 in 2014.
As expected, Watkins Glen is overbooked with 43 drivers on the wait list.
Secretary: [Cindy Cristello] Minutes from the June, 2015 BOG meeting have been posted on the website.
Treasurer: [Tom Swift]
Attached is the NNJR treasurer’s report for June 2015. All accounts balance to the penny. Compared to this time last year, we have about $12K less cash. Not a crisis, but I encourage Committee Chairs to remain prudent in their spending.

II. Board and committee reports: [as submitted in advance; updates during/after the meeting in italics]

Autocross: [Grant Lenahan]
As many of you know, the Autocross program is undergoing significant changes this year, attempting to balance the needs of existing Autocrossers, the club, and the vast % who do not now participate in driving events. A summary is in the attached article, appearing in the current Porscheforus.
A brief summary is: fewer admitted drivers per event, resulting in more driving time, and a corresponding increase in the fee, plus more focus on basic driving instruction, and finally, vastly more marketing. There is much hopeful news: we have a new set of volunteers joining the team and spreading the load, and we have some of the “old guard” re-joining that team. The first Autocross in the new format (70 entrants, $70/$75) is greatly over-subscribed, with about 10 people on the waiting list. More importantly, the % of NNJR-PCA members has skyrocketed from ~ 30% last year (20% for our first event) to about 75%. Note that the remaining 25% include a high proportion of experienced instructors and long-standing supporters of the NNJR program.
We have also modified our registration procedures. We now encourage pre-registration on Motorsportreg.com, charge a $10 fee if one registers on site, and require pre-payment. Cancellations in the last week result in credits only, no refunds. There has been little push-back, even when i have offered a refund to a member with a solid reason.
Finally, we have not only transferred information from the old web site to the new, but created nearly 75% new material, and the AX pages are growing every week. We have info on all events, instructional information, Tech information, location information, classing information (many would argue in some foreign language), and links to good reads. We also have two AX videos to give a sense of the excitement in a “parking lot”.
Finally, we have finally found out contact at MetLife again ( the last one is no longer with them) and are looking into additional dates. Past Sept 12th, it is dangerous to extrapolate from a date appoint of one, but results are encouraging and it looks like we can fill events with NNJR members if we keep our promise to more runs and more instruction. If we remain on track, we will likely break even or maybe contribute funds back. At this time I have deferred some planned capital upgrades (e.g.: wireless timing), but hope to make that investment when the funds look solid.
I will see you all tonight, maybe we can have a quick discussion or Q&A so the entire Board is up to speed and part of the marketing team.
Charity: [Anthony and Nelly Wartel]
NNJR’s Board of Governors selected Employment Horizons as our region’s charity of choice. Employment Horizons responded that they are honored to have been selected and are looking forward to working closely with NNJR in the coming years.
The Charity Committee co chairs have been in contact with representatives of Employment Horizons. Plans are underway for the December Charity Event scheduled to be held on December 9, 2015.
Sharon Doherty held an art auction and raised $100 at NNJR’s Pocono DE. The Charity Committee would like to thank Sharon and all who participated.
Club Racing: [Craig Mahon] no report

Communications: [Chris Magdelinskas] no report

Concours: [Murray Kane and Jeff McFadyen]
The June 14 Workshop at All In The Details that we did with the Mercedes Club went well with good attendance. Owners Chris Coviello and Matt Loeffler did a great job supplying a lot of good information on detailing. John Vogt supplied lunch for all.
Next up will be the Summer Concours at the Deutscher Club of Clark. We will have Peoples Choice and Judged Classes. Lunch is included in the registration fee and the club has a play area for the kids. In August we were again invited by the New Hope organization to do the Porsche judging.
Having just returned from the 2015 Porsche Parade in French Lick, IN the news is good for NNJR. With three members Porsches entered in the Concours we came home with 1 group win, 2 first place wins and 1 second place finish.
Dealer Liaison: [Bill Gilbert] no report

Driver Education: [Tom Iervolino] see report under Vice President (above)

Historian: [Stu French and Bob Knapik] no report

Mailing and Distribution: [Dennis Thovson]
Mailing data for 2,335 copies of the July Porscheforus were sent to our Mailer. The July issue was delivered to the Mailer on July 6 and placed in the Postal Service on July 7th.
Membership: [Marlys Thovson]
NNJR ended June with 2206 members – down 8 from May. We had 17 new members, 5 late renews,10 Prior Members renewed and 152 on-time renewals (includes 63 multi-year). Forty members did not renew by June 30th. Two members transferred-in and 2 transferred-out.
New Member: [Sharon Doherty and Akemi Kane]
The response to the monthly “Welcome to NNJR-PCA” e-mails as been encouraging and we have experienced increased communication from new members requesting more information on the club’s activities.
At the annual Cruise Night, we set up a welcome table for new members and attempted to pair new members with “veteran” members that are interested in the same areas of interest. There were also a few goodie bags handed out to those new members in attendance.
We compiled and printed an activity book for the children which we handed out along with crayons.
Planning has begun on creating a new style of new member reception. At present it is only in the planning stage but we hope to have something more concrete shortly.
Nominating Committee Report: [Sharon Doherty, Chair]
The Nominating Committee held its first meeting on Saturday, June 26 at 4:30 pm at Pocono Raceway. The objective of the meeting was to introduce all the members and to review the responsibilities of the committee.
NC members in attendance were Sharon Doherty, Chair, William Merritt, Dyke Henson, Laszlo Szanka, Craig Mahon and Rick Uhler. Absent was John Giove.
A motion was made to begin committee interviews on Sunday, June 27 during a break at the Pocono DE. Motion passed and the meeting adjourned at 5:00 pm.
On Sunday, June 27 the NC held the first interview meeting at approximately 12:30 pm. NC members in attendace were, Craig Mahon, Laszlo Szanka, William Merritt, Rick Uhler, Dyke Henson and Sharon Doherty. Absent was John Giove.
Interviews went very well allowing the committee to meet with 3 people before having to adjourn allowing several NC members to resume participation in the final segment of the HPDE.
Meeting was adjourned at approximately 2:45 pm.
A follow up e-mail was distributed to all NC members with a synopsis of the first meeting.
The next meeting of the Nominating Committee will be held on July 9 at the Brick Academy, lower level. The meeting is scheduled to begin at approximately 7:00 pm.
The plan for this meeting is to interview the remaining people up for election. If time allows, the committee will also begin interviews with committee chairs.
Elected officials of the Board of Governors for NNJR-PCA includes President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and 3 Governors. At present, there is a possibility of one vacancy for Governor and it is the responsibility of the NC to interview all potential candidates for this possible vacancy. We also feel that it is the responsibility of the NC to interview all committee chairs to glean from them any interest in “advancing” on the Board and if they have anyone in mind that they feel would be a good candidate as a future BOG member.
We all, as members, are charged with growing the club and our Board in that we must be constantly seeking out those who would be good candidates for our Board. As such, the Nominating Committee will not only interview present committee chairs and co-chairs but will strive to have interviews with those that have been suggested as possible future candidates.
Planning: [Craig Mahon] no report

Program: [Scott and Michele Lynn]
August being a slow month, people away on vacations, etc., I did not want to bring in a guest speaker to a room being half full. That being said, Michele and I thought it would be nice to have the meeting outdoors and try something just a bit different… Well, different to some but I for one certainly see a correlation here.
I have arranged for NNJR to have it’s monthly meeting at Sky Manor Airport in beautiful Pittstown, Hunterdon County NJ.
The airport was recently bought and completely re-done by a group of area aviation enthusiasts and is a wonderful place to visit… Not to mention some pretty cool vintage WWII aircraft in the hangers of which I am in the process of arranging tous of…
The café was part of the renovation project as well and Rosella, the café owner, is going to open up the café for us to conduct our meeting and provide finger sandwiches, soft drinks and coffee… Normally the café is only open until 4:00 pm.
btw, the food is GREAT! http://www.skymanorairport.com/sky-cafe.htm
There is also a helicopter training and tour company on-site that will open it’s doors for us to tour. They typically have three choppers on-site. http://www.skyriverhelicopters.com/
Right next door, via a mulch path walk is another hidden marvel of Hunterdon County… Beneduce Vineyard. I will try to arrange a tour/open door with the vineyard as well. Saturday nights are pretty cool here as they have a large fire pit with a beautiful patio and live band… http://beneducevineyards.com/
Now, can I arrange for a Porsche powered Mooney to be on site?… Probably not!! But you never know… I did see one a few months back at another airport… So, maybe!
In any event, this is something different and something for the aviation enthusiast of the club… I know we have a few. If not, it’s a hell of a nice drive to the airport on a summer evening.
I will finalize the details over the next couple of weeks.
Publications-Business Mgr: [Knute Hancock]
3Q15 Invoices were mailed out 6/3/2015
Publications-P4US Editor: [Michele Lynn] no report

Px: [Jose DeLaCruz] no report

Rally/Trek: [John Vogt]
The “you can’t get there from here” rally, will be our next Magical Mystery Tour. Sunday July 26 . Tea time 10:am /First Porsche off Noon . I hope to see you all at High Marques. The only acceptable excuse is that you went to the beach: that I can understand.

Safety: [Leslie Shrem] no report

Social: [Cindy and Tony Cristello]
Wine Tasting – Sunday Sept 27th at Paul Miller Porsche – Planning is underway. This year’s theme will be “New World Wines”. Wines have been selected; food pairings to be determined. We will again be generously sponsored by both Paul Miller Porsche and ShopRite Sunrise Kitchens Catering. As we will face the headcount restrictions at Schooley’s Lodge, we are hoping for a big turnout. New feature this year is the ability to reserve a table if the reservation is made for 8.
A ‘save the date’ ad ran in July P4US; the event registration form will appear in August and September P4US.
We will be asking for volunteers to help with set-up that day.
Oktoberfest Trek – Sunday October 25th – Preliminary planning for a scenic drive to a (secret) destination where fine German food and drink await.
Holiday Party – Friday, December 4th – The Atrium.

Technical: [Ken Casterline and James Coleman]
This fall on Sept. 26th from 1PM to 3PM, at Jay Coates The Popular Mechanic, the Tech Committee will host its Fall workshop. The theme will be Fall Radiator Maintenance for Boxster-Cayman, 996 and 997 Porsches.
We plan to have on hand a Boxster and a 997 for workshop demonstration, which will include the following:
Removal of Front Bumper Covers
Radiator Cleaning and Leaf Removal before winter storage
Duct Work and Water Drain cleaning
A comprehensive handout for all Porsches, that maps water drains and how to access them for cleaning
At the end of the maintenance part of the workshop, if there is time, we have an open floor Q & A session, where Jay will answer any questions about Porsche.
The Popular Mechanic is located at 27 A Commerce St, Chatham NJ, phone # 973-635-4740
Track Tech: [Walter Sliwa]
The on-site pre-techs for Pocono went smoothly. It was well attended. We performed 52 inspections, 2 cars Failed. We had plenty of help and kept 4 lifts open. Thanks to Paul Miller for hosting us and thanks to all the volunteers who came out!
Track inspections went smoothly at Pocono thanks to all the help from Volunteers. We are having some issues with proper paper work but are working with people to resolve this and make it better.
Webmaster: [Jeff Cafiero]
The site has been up and running a little over 2 months with no major problems. Feedback has been very positive… We are averaging around 300 hits per day. I’m seeing some traffic coming from a few forums, which is good. I’ve put of any major training till September. Any chair who may like to get started before let me know, I can sit down with you. I have a list of things we need to add or improve on.
We need to address our email system, I could use some input on possible solutions.
Yearbook: [Petra Swift] no report

1. On June 29, 2015, motion was made (via email to all BOG members) by Cindy Cristello to approve the minutes of the June, 2015 meeting. Motion was seconded by Sharon Doherty and carried by majority vote.




NEXT MEETING: Thursday, August 6, 2015, 7:00pm (pizza), 7:30pm (meeting) at The Brick Academy

FUTURE MEETINGS: Thursday, September 3; Thursday, October 8; Thursday, November 5; Sunday, December 13

ADJOURNMENT: Upon a motion made by Knute Hancock, and seconded by James Coleman, the meeting was adjourned at 8:54pm.

Respectfully Submitted with thanks to Marlys for assistance with the notes,

Cindy Cristello, Secretary