DATE:            Thursday March 3, 2016


PLACE:          The Brick Academy, Basking Ridge, NJ


PRESENT:      Tom Iervolino, Tom Swift, Cindy Cristello, Janice Ernsting, Anthony Wartel, Matt Fine, Chris Erven, Jeff Erven, Bill Gilbert, Steve Corodemus, Stu French, Dennis Thovson, Marlys Thovson, Drew Karpinski, Jose DeLaCruz,Scott Lynn, Michele Lynn, Knute Hancock, John Vogt, Tony Cristello, Ken Casterline, Walter Sliwa, Jeff Cafiero, Petra Swift, Murray Kane


ABSENT:        Grant Lenahan, Nelly Wartel, Bob Knapik, Sharon Doherty, Akemi Kane, Craig Mahon, Leslie Schrem, James Coleman, Ed Pepe


CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by President, Tom Iervolino, at 7:36pm


APPROVAL of MINUTES: See Motions Passed Prior to Meeting (below).


AGENDA:      [Agenda items in bold; meeting outcome in italics]


  1. Updates to Old Business:

Jeff C. has updated all the contact info on the website. Please review and advise of changes. Please use the ‘’ email alias for submitting articles for P4US. Jeff has set this up to ensure the team of people responsible for coordinating input are on this alias.


  1. New Business:


  1. Web Site and P4Us award submittals – Tom I.

We will submit our website for the PCA National award. This is a good opportunity to get feedback and suggestions from the judges who are also reviewing other regions’ websites. Michele will also submit P4US for the award.


  1. Sponsorship – Steve Corodemus / Bill Gilbert

Precision Motorsports will be our wristband sponsor again this year.

Bill described the plan to leverage the fact that we are the 3rd largest region with 2217 members to attract additional sponsorship opportunities. We need to do two things better:

  1. Ensure sponsors get business as a result of their advertising
  2. Measure the level of sophistication for advertising

Steve presented two strategic ideas:

  1. Identify the Market. A geographic map has been created that plots where our members live. The two largest areas of concentration are Morristown-area, and Bergen County-area. Chairs are asked to send Steve attendance listings from events so that he can begin to study the relationship between where people like and what events they attend.
  2. QR Codes. BOG discussed the suggestion that we use QR codes to link something “live” to something in print. Example: In a P4US article about driving a track, use a QR code to link to a UTube video.


  1. Communication – Matt Fine

There are many ways to communicate with members and potential members; print, email, website, and verbally. Matt envisions creating a roadmap for those programs whose chairs would benefit from assistance in managing these communications with respect to upcoming events. There is a great deal of “information”; schedules, dates, etc. that can be contained within a calendar function that could email/remind the event chair that a communication is needed. This could be a ‘promotion template’ (which would likely vary depending on the program served). Chairs are encouraged to consider how this could work for them.


III.  Updates/Supplements/Redirections to written Committee Chair reports: 

[updates appear following each respective report]



  1. Officers’ reports:[as submitted in advance; updates during/after the meeting in italics]

                        President: [Tom Iervolino] see Agenda above


Vice President: [Tom Swift]

All contracts in place save for Pocono.

We held our instructor and driver seminar on February 21.  We had about 85 instructors in attendance and a comparable group of drivers.

Registration is now open for both LRP and NJMP1.

Precision Motorsports has agreed to contribute $1000 to sponsor wrist bands for the season.
Secretary: [Cindy Cristello]  no report

Treasurer: [Janice Ernsting]

I have attached the Treasurer’s report for February for your review. I would like to point out a few items of note. We received a rebate from PCA National for membership dues. The Driver Education expenses include final payments for Lime Rock and a deposit for Palmer along with expenses for the advanced drivers seminar held in February. Due to a late billing, the Porscheforus expenses include charges for both January and February. And lastly, some funds were transferred from the TD Bank card account used for miscellaneous expenses to the TD Checking account.


  1. Board and committee reports: [as submitted in advance; updates during/after the meeting in italics]


Autocross: [Grant Lenahan]

At this point we have an Autocross Schedule set and posted to the web site, with 5 dates confirmed and two open, pending post-season information.

One of the 5 dates (May1) will be our Car Control Clinic, and another, July 24th will be the Autocross school.

At this time we have not been given a contract by MetLife – I did check and they are awaiting “final information on facility-wide events”.  The implication is that even our confirmed dates have a small degree of uncertainty. I have been told that there will be no substantial differences between last year’s contract terms and this year’s.

Registration is open for both the CCC ( via paper applications, accompanied with a check) and for our first event (April 17th), via

The first two events are also posted to Facebook, with registration information linked.

At the moment we have ~20 paid registrations for the CCC; from emails it appears that most members are just now seeing the ad.

Bill Merritt is looking into the road-worthiness of our AX trailer. If successful, this will allow easier sharing between DE and AX.

Flemington Porsche has agreed to sponsor the 2016 Autocross season, and signed a contract. Sharon and I are working to nail down all the details, and to welcome Flemington to the NNJR family and help them see the opportunities in sponsorship.

We are always looking for new volunteers, especially those who can take on “high skill” tracks such as timing set up, & timing/scoring operation which require small teams, especially as members travel for personal and work reasons.


Charity: [Anthony and Nelly Wartel]  no report


Club Racing: [Craig Mahon]  no report


Communications: [Matt Fine] no report


Concours: [Chris Erven and Jeff Erven]

The Dentman Workshop was held on Feb 20th with 47 Attendees and 12 Cars having Dents Removed.  21 Members signed up but a few cancelled, and some vehicles could not be repaired.  Flemington Porsche was a gracious host and provided refreshments.  Everyone was amazed how Bill Rochford performed his magic.

The 15th Annual Gathering of the Faithful & Judges Seminar will be March 20 from10AM – 1PM at High Marques Motors 169 Washington Street Morristown, NJ

We plan on using this traditional social gathering to introduce our 2016 Concours  program and hold a judges seminar. The meeting will be in two parts. First we will review the 2016 schedule of events and introduce a few surprises and at 11:30AM we will hold our judges seminar with a panel of judges Event is open to all members.

Full details in Porscheforus


Dealer Liaison: [Bill Gilbert and Steve Corodemus] see above


Driver Education: [Tom Swift] see report under Vice President (above)


Historian: [Stu French and Bob Knapik]

2nd installation of Throwback Porsche article- “Decade of the ‘60s” prepared by Bob & Stu, with editing and image enhancement provided by Dennis T is submitted to Michele L for inclusion in upcoming P4US

Additionally, article covering Sebring DE via AutoTrain also awaits publication as space permits.

Preparing to attend both Amelia Concours (3-13) and Sebring 12-Hr (3-19) with intent to capture images/material for a combined future publication and/or presentation.

Thought Amelia could be presented as an honorary tribute to Ed Neighbour who had diligently prepared and expertly presented two prior Amelias at NNJR Wed nite meetings.


Mailing and Distribution: [Dennis Thovson]

The March issue was delivered to the Printer today (March 3) and is scheduled to be delivered to the Mailer on March 10.  Projecting a 1 day turnaround at the Mailer, it will be delivered to the Post Office on Friday, March 11th.


Membership: [Marlys Thovson]

NNJR ended February with 2217 Primary Members and 1523 Family/Affiliate Members. We had 21 new members, 5 Previous Members rejoined, 12 Late Renewals and 167 on-time Members Renewed (included 56 Multiyear Members). Two members transferred-in. Thirty-four members did not renew before the February 29th cutoff.

The PCA National Office renewal notices were sent out about a month late which caused troubles with both the January and February Renewals and is carrying over into March.


New Member: [Sharon Doherty and Akemi Kane]

The organization of the WTTC event is ongoing. A draft of the ad and entry form was circulated to Akemi Kane, John Vogt, Jeff and Chris Erven and the format was finalized. The ad and registration form will be up on the NNJR web page shortly.

Murray and Akemi will check with Theresa Anguili on the lunch menu and will have that soon.


Planning: [Drew Karpinski]

With 2016 budgets complete, I am now focused on the 2015 taxes.  Tom S. and Janice are providing the accounting data, Russ and Dennis are completing the annual “internal audit,” and we should be on schedule for our May 15th filing date.


Program: [Scott Lynn]             no report


Publications-Business Mgr: [Knute Hancock] no report


Publications-P4US Editor: [Michele Lynn] no report


Px: [Jose DeLaCruz]

Went to a cars & croissants car hangout Sunday morning in Morris Plains.  Quite a turnout of many different rides.  Spoke to a few new Porsche owners and gave them some older issues of P4us that I had.  They were interested in AX & DE (also some numbers). Don’t know when the next is and if I can make it, but will keep some more issues in my car.  I did run out.

Saw some NNJR jackets on Sunday and they seem to be happy with the product. I’ll take suggestions on other products to be embroidered with NNJR logo.

I sold out of the baseball caps.  All four colors were liked.  I would like to do a new design.  Would I be able to use the Porsche crest?  I think that would work well with the NNJR logo also.
Rally/Trek: [John Vogt]

Nothing new to report. I am driving around north Jersey to find new routes to amaze the masses. One of my new questions could be “how many pot holes have attempted to swallow your car?”


Safety: [Leslie Shrem] no report


Social:  [Cindy and Tony Cristello]

Chocolate Tasting is set for Sunday March 13th at High Marques. Theme has been defined and final selection of the chocolate/pairings will be completed shortly. We got an initial surge of signups immediately following the Feb e-blast. Signup (at pre-registration price) will be permitted at next week’s monthly member meeting. Walk-ins are welcome on the day-of.

September Wine tasting date has been confirmed with Paul Miller Porsche.

Site selection is underway for the Holiday Party with the objective of securing a place by month-end.


Technical:  [Ken Casterline and James Coleman]

February 13th, we successfully held the Paul Miller new model tech part 1,   Legacy Porsche to Gen. 1 of 991 and how we got to the Gen. 2  of  991. Approximately 70 members and friends were in attendance. Master Mechanic Marty once again amazed us with the breadth and depth of his knowledge about Porsche.


March 19th, we will be holding the Stable Energies new equipment and safety tech at Stable Energies from 12 noon to 4PM. The SA2015 helmets specs have been approved and will be on hand for tryout, fitting and sale.

In April we have two workshops.

  1.   On April 2nd we go to Flemington Porsche for a Drive-by Tech.  This workshop is directed towards those members who seldom have their cars on a lift and “tech inspected”; who have questions about their cars relative to  current problems and  potential problems and ongoing trends.
  2. April 7th – Part 2 of the Paul Miller new model 991.2  presentation will take place in April and will be unlike any that has been hosted by Paul Miller Porsche for NNJR in the past.  This year Paul Miller Porsche plans to hold a 991.2 launch. The new model public announcement will showcase cars on the floor as well as on lifts. The launch will include a special invitation to NNJR members, and the club will featured as an honored partner and guest. The tentative launch date subject to PNA approval, is Thursday evening, April 7, 2016. The traditional New Model Tech that had been scheduled for April 23rd, has been cancelled. Watch your mails for notice of the Paul Miller Porsche 991 generation 2 New Model Launch


Track Tech: [Walter Sliwa and Ed Pepe]

All Techs are scheduled and confirmed but VIR,

All stickers are printed.

Stamp has been replaced for NNJR

We are ready for our Track Tech Workshop on March 12


Webmaster: [Jeff Cafiero]

The 2016 calendar of events has been loaded onto the site. However many events need additional information, details etc. please be sure to use the email address to submit all event details and any changes, this email address forwards Michele and Knute P4US, Petra Email blasts and myself website. DE, Autocross and Tech have taken over adding content to their their sections. Porscheforus is now online, one issue behind current. I’ll be adding articles published in Porscheforus into the respective sections.

Yearbook: [Petra Swift] no report










NEXT MEETING:   Thursday, March 31, 2016, 7:00pm (pizza), 7:30pm (meeting) at The Brick Academy
FUTURE MEETINGS:  Thursday May 5, Wednesday June 1, Thursday July 7, Thursday August 4, Wednesday August 31, Thursday October 6, Thursday November 3, Sunday December TBD.



ADJOURNMENT: Upon a motion made by Cindy Cristello, and seconded by Drew Karpinski, the meeting was adjourned at 9:04pm.


Respectfully Submitted,


Cindy Cristello, Secretary