DATE:             Thursday, August 4, 2016


PLACE:          The Brick Academy, Basking Ridge, NJ


PRESENT:      Tom Iervolino, Tom Swift, Cindy Cristello (late), Matt Fine, Chris Erven, Jeff Erven, Bill
Gilbert, Stu French, Dennis Thovson, Marlys Thovson, Sharon Doherty, Craig Mahon, Knute Hancock, Walter Sliwa, Jeff Cafiero, Petra Swift, Murray Kane, Grant Lenahan, Anthony Wartel, John Vogt, Ken Casterline


ABSENT:        Janice Ernsting, Steve Corodemus, Jose DeLaCruz, James Coleman, Nelly Wartel, Bob Knapik,  Akemi Kane, Drew Karpinski, Leslie Shrem, Tony Cristello, Ed Pepe


CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by President, Tom Iervolino, at  7:29pm


APPROVAL of MINUTES: See Motions Passed Prior to Meeting (below).


AGENDA:      [Agenda items in bold; meeting outcome in italics]


  1. Updates to Old Business: none


  1. New Business:

–  Mid-Year Program/Financial Review.  –  See Drew’s written report.

Tom I asked BOG members to look at where they stand to date financially within their specific programs and project where they think they will be at year end relative to their 2016 budget. The calculated summaries are to be sent to the Planning Chair, Drew Karpinski.


Tom commented that the programs are doing better in 2016 compared to 2015. However, there is still a balancing act. The losses in 2015 have not been totally covered.


– Additional “color”pages in Porscheforus:

Following a discussion, Tom reiterated that the recently formed PORSCHEFORUS

Editorial Team (Petra Swift, Knute Hancock, Jeff Cafiero, Matt Fine and Lisa Iervolino) will make their recommendation after looking at financial aspects and over-all value to the membership.


– Bill Gilbert reminded us to be thinking about the Club’s 60th Anniversary in 2017 and sponsorship. Sponsorship should be pursued and secured in 2016. Cindy Cristello is Chair of the Anniversary Committee and was asked draft a program for the year including the finances and other needs for the 2017 celebration. One of the decisions to be made was the proposal by other Regions for NNJR to join them for a 60 Anniversary celebration – our own vs. a combined celebration. “Get the numbers!”


– NNJR’s Program Chair, Scott Lynn has resigned due to increased job responsibilities.  The baton has been passed for the remainder of 2016 to Murray Kane. Tom thanked Murray for stepping-in. Scott has arranged for Mr. Race Oil to provide the program for the August 10th Monthly Meeting at the Villa. Slide Night and Elections November 9th and the Charity Auction December 14th. Murray has proposed the September program be a gathering at the Hot Rods restaurant and in October perhaps a program on NNJR’s history.


The Villa is now under new ownership. A contract needs to be negotiated for 2017. Bill Gilbert suggested we think about utilizing sponsor locations for monthly meetings. It would be necessary to rent chairs. This would be one way to reward advertisers. The Villa “cancellation policy” for selected months needs to be determined if we contract the Villa for a year.


III.  Updates/Supplements/Redirections to written Committee Chair reports: 

[updates appear following each respective report]



  1. Officers’ reports: [as submitted in advance; updates during/after the meeting in italics]

                        President: [Tom Iervolino] see Agenda above


Vice President: [Tom Swift]

We held two DEs during July.


Mosport was well attended by NNJR people, but attendance by UCR was down year over year.  I haven’t yet run the numbers but, unlike last year, I don’t think this event was in the black.


Watkins Glen 1 was last weekend, and was a sellout with about 230 drivers.  Although the weather forecasts for each day were not encouraging, we actually had only a few wet runs that were problematic only for drivers running race tires. Scungilli Racing hosted a dinner Friday night to benefit wounded war vets – they raised over $4K.  Saturday we stole a little track time after lunch and Dennis and Knute drove Paul Miller provided vehicles for a couple of parade laps with two multiple-amputee vets riding along.  Given the iffy weather forecast, we held the BBQ in the media center.  The food was great, Drew provided good music, $900 was raised for Employment Horizons, and it appears that all had a good time.


BOG members worked very hard at the Glen, including Ed and Walter for Tech, Craig as registrar and backup chief, Bill handing the classroom sessions, Les for safety, and Dennis and Knute as chiefs, Anthony and Nelly (with assistance from Akemi) worked the crowd on Saturday night for the 50/50 raffle that raised the funds for Employment Horizons.


And I should probably mention that the Porscheforus Editor came up to cover the event…

Many thanks.


We now take August off save for the last few days, when we’ll be at Palmer.


Secretary: [Cindy Cristello]  Minutes from the July, 2016 BOG meeting have been posted on the website.

Treasurer: [Janice Ernsting]

Attached is the NNJR treasurer’s report for July.

Notes for July P&L;


1)     Watkins Glen was a huge success despite concerns over the significant increase in fees. Unfortunately, Motorsportreg did not deposit the amounts it collected until 8/1 and therefore it is not reflected in our July numbers. If it were, you would see that we are in the black for the first time this year! Yes!

2)    There were two Concours expenses from previous months that were reclassified to miscellaneous expense (previous year adjustment) and Program (Pinewood Derby trophies)  I only mention it because it was a significant change for Concours.

3)     I did find the missing CD’s. Halleluiah. They were in a shoebox that came in with the files I received earlier in the year and was misplaced. All my fault.

4)     Please give any receipts you have collected for me to Marlys. She will mail them to me and I’ll take care of them when I return.


  1. Board and committee reports: [as submitted in advance; updates during/after the meeting in italics]


Autocross: [Grant Lenahan]

We held our annual autocross school on July 23. We had to use an alternate site ( Raritan center) and were competing with several other events.  Attendance was low (in the very low 30s), but the event ran well, the attendees seems happy and appreciative, we had sufficient volunteer instructors (thanks!), and while I have not done a complete accounting, should have roughly broken even.

As of this month we return to our regular venue, MetLife stadium at the Meadowlands.  Our next two events are:

August 21st (Sunday) and

September 17th (Saturday)

We currently have 29/70 signed up for August.  Registration is open for both events on


Charity: [Anthony and Nelly Wartel]

A total of $935 was raised for Employment Horizons at Watkins Gken I during the Saturday evening barbecue when NNJR ran a 50/50.  Thank you to all who participated and a special thank you to Akemi Kane for helping the committee co chairs sell tickets. Thank you also to Joseph and Nadine Sliwa for separating the nearly 2000 tickets for the raffle, and to Drew Karpinski for acting as our emcee.

Dinosaur BBQ donated a cookbook along with a box of assorted sauces at Watkins for our December fund raiser. Thank you Robin North at Dinosaur!

The Charity Committee is seeking donations for the annual Tricky Tray auction in December, especially those big ticket items. Please contact the Charity Committee or any member of the Board of Governors should you have a donation for the December event.


Club Racing: [Craig Mahon]  no report


Communications: [Matt Fine] no report


Concours: [Chris Erven and Jeff Erven]

A Concours was held at the Brookrace Park Pavilion on Sunday, July 24th.  Jon Vogt graciously obtained approval for the event.  Jon moved out of his neighborhood and myself and Jon have a two bedroom apartment and a twelve car garage.  Don’t tell the wives.  The day was hot so attendance was down, but for those who attended, had a great time.  The caterer outdid themselves and the food was delicious and everyone got a huge doggy bag to take home. There were many new entrants that had a great experience. An outstanding article by a first timer will appear in a future P4Us edition.  The next event will be held on Sept 11 at Wingsread Farms, Asbury, NJ.  Planning is underway,


Dealer Liaison: [Bill Gilbert and Steve Corodemus] no report


Driver Education: [Tom Swift] see report under Vice President (above)


Historian: [Stu French and Bob Knapik]

Petra expects to publish Decade of 60’s in October P4US.

Research of Decade of 7Cs underway by Stu & Bob.


Mailing and Distribution: [Dennis Thovson]

Mailing data for 2358 copies of the August issue of Porscheforus were sent to our Mailer on July 20th; the August issue was delivered to the Mailer on July 21st. The issue was placed in the Postal System on either Friday July 22 or Monday July 25th – (don’t have the mailing reports yet).


Membership: [Marlys Thovson]

NNJR ended the month of July 2016 with 2225 primary members (+18 from June), 1493 Family/Affiliate members, 1 life member for a total of 3719 members. We had 28 new members, 4 previous members rejoined, 17 late renewals and 153 on-time renewals (of which 57 were multi-year renewals). We had zero members transfer-in and three members transfer-out. Twenty-eight members did not renew on-time for the August 1 cutoff.


New Member: [Sharon Doherty and Akemi Kane] no report


Nominating Committee: [Craig Mahon (Chair), Knute Hancock, Dyke Hensen, Drew Karpinski, Jeff Krol, Dom Miliano, Shannon Muller]


The Nominating Committee, exercising its duties as representatives of the NNJR Membership, has nominated the following candidates to serve on the Board of Governors for the calendar year 2017:


PRESIDENT             Tom Iervolino


SECRETARY           Cindy Cristello

TREASURER           Janice Ernsting

GOVERNOR            Murray Kane

GOVERNOR            Grant Lenahan

GOVERNOR            Anthony Wartel


All of the candidates have stated their willingness to serve in the office for which they have been nominated.  The full report including the petition process has been submitted to the Porscheforus editor for publication in the September and October issues as required by the NNJR By-Laws.  Similarly, the full report has been submitted to our Webmaster for posting this week as required by the By-Laws.


Thanks go out to the entire committee for their time and service to the Region in this important process.


Planning: [Drew Karpinski]

What I need from everyone with a program or committee budget is a reforecast of where you and your program stand through July relative to your original NNJR budget.  Janice shows these budgets by line on her treasurer’s reports.  Please let me know if you think you are on track to make budget, or if you believe you are going to fall short OR exceed the budget by any significant amount.  This information allows me and the Planning Committee to make mid-year corrections as necessary so that we avoid any serious revenue shortfall (or overly-large surplus) at year end.  Unless there is something noteworthy, a simple email is all that is needed.


Kindly send these to:


Program: [Scott Lynn / Murray Kane]

August is being handled by Scott. He indicated he has an oil expert lined up.


September we will be meeting at one of the following that I have talked to today and will have more information on Thursday:

Long Valley Brew Pub, Long Valley

Hot Rods BBQ, Wharton

Chatter Box Drive IN, Augusta

Circus Drive In, Wall


October, I will be talking to Bob Knapik when he returns home this weekend. I am going to ask if he and Stu can put together a presentation on the club’s history


November, Slide Night (Photo Contest)


December, Charity Auction.


Publications-Business Mgr: [Knute Hancock]

Nothing new other than I would like to see an addition of 4 more color pages to change the center section of P4Us for us and not all ads.


Publications-P4US Editor: [Petra Swift] no report


Px: [Jose DeLaCruz]  no report


Rally/Trek: [John Vogt]

Greetings Porsche Brothers & Sisters,

On July 10 we had a great crowd that meet at High Marques. After a light breakfast the journey started through some hidden back roads of NJ. We ended up at Hot Rods BBQ in Wharton NJ. Some people didn’t get the destination name and brought vintage hot rods, and as car people we all enjoyed the mix. We fed about 75 hungry and happy rallies ts . The auto themed destination was a hit, and not to many complained about my jokes. I was asked more than once “can we do it again next week”? So far our budget has stayed on course, and so have our entrants!


Safety: [Leslie Shrem] no report


Social:  [Cindy and Tony Cristello]

Wine Tasting – Sunday September 25th at Paul Miller Porsche – Our theme this year is “Vinos de España”. Wine selections have been finalized and souvenir glasses have been ordered. Preliminary catering discussions are pending. Event is once again co-sponsored by Paul Miller Porsche and ShopRite Sunrise Kitchens.  Registration  is open! Form is in Aug P4US.


Ocktoberfest Trek – Sunday October 23rd – Departing from High Marques in Morristown to a “surprise” location for tasty German fare. Venue has been reserved and menu selected.  Registration will open September 1st. Ad will be placed in September P4US


CIA Trek – Saturday November 12th – Good news!!! The CIA is doing large group luncheons on a somewhat limited basis, and we were able to get a date. Trek will depart from the Sloatsburg rest stop on the NY Thruway. Registration will open October 1st and will be limited to 50 participants. Ad will be placed in October P4US.


Holiday Cocktail Party – Friday December 2nd – Venue has been selected and contract is being finalized. We are trying something different this year… our feedback tells us that folks enjoy the ‘cocktail party’ portion of the traditional dinner/dance format much more than the ‘dinner/dancing’ part, so this year we are going to nix the formal sit-down dinner and simply do a big cocktail party. There will be dinner-equivalent amounts of food and a dance floor will be available, but the seating will be more casual (more small tables / high tops) to allow folks to mingle more. Ads will be placed in the October and November P4US issues, and registration will open November 1st.
Technical:  [Ken Casterline and James Coleman]

Nothing much to report this month as other activities are in full swing. We assisted out of state Porsche enthusiasts with local shop information and we are working on details for a Technical event at The Popular Mechanic September 24th…. Details to follow….


Track Tech: [Walter Sliwa and Ed Pepe]

The Pre Tech for Watkins Glen 1 Went Smoothly due to all the volunteers that came out to help. We kept 3 lifts open and did 49 inspections


The Watkins Glen Techs went smoothly due to all that helped.


Webmaster: [Jeff Cafiero] no report


Yearbook: [Petra Swift] no report



  1. On August 1, 2016 motion was made (via email to all BOG members) by Cindy Cristello to approve the minutes of the 2016 meeting. Motion was seconded by Bill Gilbert and carried by majority vote.








NEXT MEETING:   Wednesday August 31, 2016, 7:00pm (pizza), 7:30pm (meeting) at The Brick Academy
FUTURE MEETINGS:   Thursday October 6, Thursday November 3, Sunday December TBD.



ADJOURNMENT: Upon a motion made by Jeff Cafiero, and seconded by Walter Sliwa, the meeting was adjourned at 8:00 pm.


Respectfully submitted, with many thanks to Marlys for taking the minutes,


Cindy Cristello, Secretary